Last week, I felt like I was in a food rut — nothing sounded good, nothing tasted good and I most certainly did not feel like cooking. But a trip to the Farmers Market was all I needed; the colorful, fresh & local produce inspired me to get my bum back in the kitchen to whip up something delicious and nutritious! I think I bought more produce this week than I have in weeks past. Among the items I picked up were some green bell peppers begging to be stuffed, so that is precisely what I did!
Follows is my recipe:
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1lb stew meat
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/4 teaspoon each: chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and black pepper
- 4 slices of cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook rice according to package directions.
In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add beef and increase heat to medium high. Cook until beef is only slightly pink on the inside. Add rice, tomatoes and seasonings to skillet and mix. Taste your mixture to make sure the spices are to your liking, add more if necessary.
Next, cut the tops of each bell pepper and remove seeds. Stuff each pepper with rice and meat mixture, then place in a casserole dish. Once all peppers are stuffed, add just enough water to cover the bottom of your baking dish — about 1/8″ (this will prevent the peppers from drying out).
Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. If using cheese, place a slice on top of each pepper approximately 5 minutes before removing them from the oven.
Other stuffing options:
- Forgo the meat all together and use black (or brown beans) for your protein source. Beans are an excellent source of fiber, help the body maintain normal blood sugar levels and reduce cholesterol.
- Looking to add more protein? Use quinoa instead of rice. One serving of this delicious grain contains 14g of protein, is an excellent source of Magnesium and is naturally gluten free!
- Want something different? Stuff your peppers with roasted potatoes and ground turkey meat instead. Did you know: one medium sized potato boasts 18% RDI of potassium!
What is your favorite combination of ingredients for stuffed bell peppers? Share it with me in the comments section!!